I made one of my many favourite desserts on the weekend. These mini chocolate eclairs or profiteroles are really easy to make and they always goes down well with the kiddies at birthday parties. They were the perfect treat for our friends and family and disappeared in no time at all.
Made with an easy choux pastry, filled with whipped cream and topped with chocolate, they have become my ‘go to’ potluck dessert for their simplicity and ability to make a heap of them to feed the multitudes. They’re also decadent, which in my book screams winner when it comes to dessert. Sounds heavenly.
Mini Chocolate Eclairs Recipe
- 1 Cup water
- 80 grams butter
- 1 Cup plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 250 mls cream (not the thickened kind)
- Place the water and butter into a med sized saucepan on medium heat. Bring it to a gentle boil. Take the pot off the heat. Add all the flour at once and mix quickly with a wooden spoon until nice and smooth and the mixture comes away from the sides of the pot.
- Put the pot aside to cool for 5 minutes then beat in the eggs one at a time mixing thoroughly after each addition. Your mixture will be quite thick and glossy.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper. Pipe or spoon small teaspoons of pastry mixture onto the tray. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 deg celcius for 30mins or until golden, then lower the heat to 100 deg C and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place them on a cooling rack. Pierce a couple of small holes in the side of each case to let the steam escape. Leave to cool completely.
Whip up the cream with a couple of tablespoons of icing sugar to sweeten it up a little.
Slice the cases in half and fill with whipped cream. Alternatively you can pipe the cream through a small hole in the side of the case. I prefer this method for the kiddies as they are less likely to get the cream squished out of them.
Place 2 Tbls butter along with the dark chocolate into a heat proof bowl. Melt them together over a saucepan of hot water. Remove bowl from the heat and carefully dip the eclairs in the chocolate to coat the top. Set aside to cool.
makes approx. 30
Serve the mini chocolate eclairs on their own or with fresh strawberries. Enjoy!!